Global Social Media Monitoring and Engagement for Brands and Agencies – Social media monitoring in 2011 « Synthesio
In 2010, “online reputation” and “social CRM” were 2 major social media buzzwords
and the list continues to grow as social media becomes an essential part of business. Who would have thought 5 years ago that by 2011 it would be be critical for companies to have at least one Facebook button somewhere on their website ?
As social media marketing has evolved, so, too, has social media monitoring. Large corporations are investing in enterprise solutions that allow them to manage their online reputations and monitor what is being said about their brand(s). For 2011, there are certain trends we detected at Synthesio in the social media monitoring sphere that we wanted to get your thoughts on :
1. The R.O.I. in social media will be a deciding factor for businesses
Marketers working in the social media sphere for several years will say that this is already a reality or that it’s impossible to calculate the R.O.I of social media. In fact, you may have already stopped talking about “social media” and the “social web” and have started talking about the “web”, period, and taking for granted that the web is social. Yet even this month Social Media Examiner said the #1 question companies ask is “How do I measure social media return on investment?” The SmartBrief / Summus Limited surveyed more than 6,000 of its readers from a variety of industries ; only 14.7% answered that their organization is measuring the return on social media investment.
The 2010 Gartner Hype Cycle for social media also suggests that social analytics are reaching their peak in terms of expectations. Business owners have already become disillusioned with social media consulting, and are looking for a financial return.
When we presented several of our social media cases at Monitoring Social Media in Paris in December, the feedback we received was overwhelmingly positive ; the attendees had clearly come looking for real-life examples. Just take a look at the number of comments under the (continually growing thread) “Looking for case studies on the successful use of social media to grow a business” if you have any doubts.
Even if they’re not measuring social media, business want to. Jeremiah Owyang asked 140 social media strategists what their number 1 internal and external goals for 2011 are. The #1 response is that business are looking to calculate ROI
However, in order to help businesses understand which monitoring and measuring tools and services are the right ones for them they need more concrete examples of how social media can advance their business. Marshall Sponder is going to help in this regard, as he is currently working on a book about social media monitoring toolsand uses that features case studies à la Forrester Groundswell.
As for social media listening platforms,
2. Listening platforms are going to become increasingly similar
Forrester Research recently released their 2011 Listening Landscape Report, breaking the listening market into 3 different types of platforms :
Social dashboards—Web-based tools that focus primarily on managing and analyzing social media data:
- Crimson Hexagon;
- Radian6; and
Multichannel analytics providers—Analytics infrastructures that mine social media data along with other structured and unstructured data sources:
- Analytics infrastructures;
- Overtone; and
- SAS Institute.
Listening service partners—Vendors with proprietary social analytics tools and professional consulting teams that write custom research reports based on social media data:
- EmPower Research;
- NM Incite;
- Synthesio; and
- Visible Technologies.
Zach Hofer-Shall is also looking at how social media monitoring companies price their services, so as to clear up confusion for buyers. For example, while some companies base their pricing on the number of verbatim (the case of Synthesio), others base their pricing on the number of keywords or the number of seats.
However, as the social web has become a necessity for businesses to thrive, the tools used to measure and monitor are going to converge into similar solutions and services to provide a more homogenous market. Several tool providers have already begun adding service components to complete the tool, although there are still various ways they are going about this (community management, setup, video training, etc.).
Yet, it’s not just the tools and services that companies are going to be looking for in 2011.
Because businesses want proof, they also want stories. Storytelling is going to provide the context that analytical data needs to be relevant for buyers. Graphs, statistics, and charts are exciting for an analyst, but clients need a picture of what they represent in the real world. In their reports, for example, Synthesio analysts always pick out top influencers, trends, conversations, and anecdotes around your brand online to paint a picture of your online presence and reputation. They paint a story to bring online data to life.
And finally, in 2011…
3. Customers will have one voice across all channels
Forrester analyst Bruce Temkin wrote in 2010 that, “Most large North American companies have some type of voice of the customer (VoC) program in place. But most of these programs fall short of fueling customer-centric behaviors.” He points out six components of successful voice of the customer programs :
- culture and alignments
- governance and organization
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
SAVE THE DATE: Paid – Owned – Earned Study – Wave 3
BMMA Lunch – Classic data/ Big data: What is the new deal?
- Why Mobile + Big Data = The Future of Events | It's All Virtual
- Belgium: Market leader in Tablet newspapers launches new advertising model - news detail | Publicitas International
- How Yahoo Will Wring $1.1B Out of Tumblr | Wired Business | Wired.com
- Top 4 Digital Marketing Trends for 2013 | Visual.ly
- The Voice Belgique génère 2 fois plus de mentions que The Voice Van Vlaanderen sur les réseaux sociaux
- Payname : pour payer les services entre particuliers de manière simple & légale May 22, 2013
- JWT utilise le retargeting de maniere creative pour les douanes hollandaises May 21, 2013
- Hello Bank! May 19, 2013
- Big Data : quand IBM décrypte les messages sur les réseaux sociaux May 18, 2013
- Danone et Nestlé sacrées marques préférées des Français May 18, 2013
- TF1 Publicité et la 4G d'Orange font gagner un passage TV en prime-time aux téléspectateurs sur TF1 - Offremedia May 16, 2013
- Peugeot 2008 | International TV Ad May 16, 2013
- 7 Hot Editorial Jobs in Los Angeles, New York and More May 22, 2013
- 14 Twitter Tips and Tricks for Power Users May 22, 2013
- Watch Our Google Hangout on Immigration With Steve Case May 22, 2013
- Microsoft's Xbox One and Other News You Need to Know May 22, 2013
- Mashable Joins Technology Leaders in Supporting March for Innovation May 22, 2013
- Hire Yourself a Great First Manager May 22, 2013
- The Real 800-Pound Gorilla of Presenteeism May 22, 2013
- Embrace the Business Model That Threatens You May 22, 2013
- Five Things Tim Cook Should Do at Apple (Now that He's Done Testifying) May 21, 2013
- Welcome to the One-Screen World May 21, 2013
- Calculer le ROI des médias sociaux: La théorie Jaap Favier October 12, 2012
- Ohtootay: un début de réponse à la question du ROI des Médias Sociaux October 10, 2012
- [MAJ] Lancement #storyof1million sur Vogue.fr October 8, 2012
- FuckWithATweet.com: Le Porno Dont Vous êtes Le Héro (?) October 8, 2012
- Bazaart: une application iPad pour transformer les Pins en catalogues October 8, 2012
- Apple’s App Store Marks Historic 50 Billionth Download May 16, 2013
- Ailing UK School Makes Dramatic Turnaround May 2, 2013
- Apple Is Tops When It Comes to Computer Tech Support April 30, 2013
- Apple Worldwide Developers Conference to Kick Off June 10 in San Francisco April 24, 2013
- Apple Reports Second Quarter Results April 23, 2013
- Facebook Reports First Quarter 2013 Results
- A New Data Center for IowaToday we’re thrilled to announce that Altoona, Iowa, will be the home for Facebook’s newest data center.
- Facebook, MacArthur Foundation, Mozilla, and the Family Online Safety Institute Launch Project:Connect
- Messaging updates for iPhone and a new look for iPadToday we’re announcing an update to the Facebook app for iPhone and iPad with new features in private messages.
- Mike Schroepfer and Cory Ondrejka at Dive Into Mobile: Where To Watch
- Facebook, Attorneys General Announce Online Safety Campaign
- Adding What You're Doing to Status Updates
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Keas partners with nutrition experts to encourage employee wellness May 22, 2013
- Twitter granted pull-to-refresh patent that everyone already uses (and sort of gives it away) May 21, 2013
- Pinterest makes smarter pins and hints at a way to monetize May 20, 2013
- Busted: Microsoft intercepts, decrypts, and reads your Skype messages May 20, 2013
- Collaborative consumption: The new sharing economy May 20, 2013
- Please help me decide if my Futurist iOS / Android App should stay or not, take this quick poll
- I have moved my blog to FuturistGerd.com - please take note!
- Quick notice: check out my new site at Futuristgerd.com
- Video: a conversation with fellow futurist Dr. James Canton, on Sustainability
- Data is the new Oil: 3 illustrations
- Mickey gobe Vador : "mème" pas peur ! October 31, 2012
- Vivez la saison 2 de la TippExperience ! OMG ! April 11, 2012
- #mamission : Kia Cee'd Attack ! April 10, 2012
- Itw de Laurent Buanec, Dir.des Nouveaux Contenus chez GroupM Paris April 8, 2012
- Interview : Jeremy Hureaux (Politique.com) April 2, 2012
- Ireland: We’re no tax haven … but … yes, Apple did pay 2% tax May 22, 2013
- Google’s cool new conversational search quietly hits Chrome May 22, 2013
- Practice Fusion can help you & your family control spiraling health costs May 22, 2013
- Funding Daily: Silicon Valley Is Burning May 22, 2013
- Grownups speak to startups: We’re not into technology just because it’s cool May 22, 2013
- Twitter Adds Cards to Help Brands Register Emails May 22, 2013
- How to Spot a Fake Geek Friend May 22, 2013
- Google Chrome Can Now Talk Back to You May 22, 2013
- 7 Hot Editorial Jobs in Los Angeles, New York and More May 22, 2013
- 14 Twitter Tips and Tricks for Power Users May 22, 2013
- Google I/O for Marketers May 20, 2013
- Location-Based Marketing on Facebook May 15, 2013
- David Cooperstein of Forrester Research Shows CMOs How to Build 21st Century Brands May 3, 2013
- Coca-Cola’s Vision: Use Your Mobile Phone to Buy a Coke May 3, 2013
- Safe Is the New Risky in Marketing May 3, 2013
- 15 Actionable Takeaways From Social Media Marketing World 2013 May 22, 2013
- 2013 Social Media Marketing Industry Report May 21, 2013
- 3 Simple Ways to Measure Your Social Media Results May 20, 2013
- Google+ Redesign: This Week in Social Media May 18, 2013
- Mobile Marketing: How to Get Started May 17, 2013
- Selling ads by time, not space May 16, 2013
- Apologies May 5, 2013
- Advice May 3, 2013
- And now the news: Here’s what we *don’t* know at this hour… April 22, 2013
- A media attack April 16, 2013
- Facebook Makes Mobile Sharing Easier for iOS Apps May 21, 2013
- Consumers Can Now Upload Profile Photos for Unclaimed Place Pages May 21, 2013
- Now You Can Manage Your Google+ Pages With Sprout Social May 21, 2013
- JetBlue and ModCloth Share 3 Policies to Prevent Social Media Disaster May 21, 2013
- Facebook Notifications Now Include Promoted Post Suggestions May 20, 2013
- Article: Slow and Steady Continued Gains for US Digital Travel Sales May 22, 2013Travel is already a mature online sector in the US and digital sales will continue to rise at a healthy clip, even as travel’s share of total ecommerce sales begins to decline, according to a new eMaketer report. Mobile will be a big part of the continued growth story.
- Article: Smartphones Are Increasingly UK Kids' Mobile Phone of Choice May 22, 2013According to eMarketer estimates, 36.6% of mobile phone users ages 0 to 11 used smartphones in the UK in 2012, and this is expected to almost double by 2017. Kids are increasingly utilizing the device’s full capabilities, making limited-function mobile phones a potentially tough sell.
- Article: In China, a Broad Affinity for Apps May 22, 2013Smartphone users in China are by no means cynical about apps. Users in the country were more likely to download and try out new apps than those in the US. China’s smartphone users were also more likely to make in-app purchases.
- Article: Ad Agencies See Effectiveness in Online Video May 22, 2013Ad agency executives expect strong growth in their use of both online and mobile videos in 2013, likely because they now consider these channels equally or more effective at reaching audiences than traditional television. Agencies have also seen an evolution in the way clients are measuring the success of online ads.
- Newsroom: eMarketer Event: Detroit Breakfast – June 18, 2013 May 21, 2013Tuesday June 18th, 2013Â - Detroit, MI eMarketer’s Noah Elkin will be delivering a presentation titled “KEY DIGITAL TRENDS FOR 2013 AND BEYOND” About eMarketer’s Detroit Breakfast Join us [...]
- What do you mean customers don’t know what they want? February 28, 2013
- Finding opportunities to unseat incumbents January 30, 2013
- McDonald’s wins on the fast food jobs-to-be-done that matter January 25, 2013
- A Method for Applying Jobs-to-Be-Done to Product and Service Design January 15, 2013
- Net Promoter Score is a window into jobs-to-be-done fulfillment November 29, 2012
- 2% des spectateurs tweetent durant the Voice (Belgique / Vlaanderen) fb.me/SeQTJ5E4--- 19 minutes ago
- 2% des spectateurs tweetent durant the Voice (Belgique / Vlaanderen) wp.me/pAOlp-1Ra--- 19 minutes ago
- Payname : pour payer les services entre particuliers de manière simple & légale | @scoopit sco.lt/6Fdgen--- 4 hours ago
- My Tweeted Times tweetedtimes.com/huguesrey - top stories by MacGeneration, digg, WiredFeed--- 5 hours ago
- Why Mobile + Big Data = The Future of Events | It's All Virtual fb.me/1IvTRdExP--- 7 hours ago