Please find our first analysis about impact of Covid-19 on media consumption in Belgium. Additionally, we provide you some reflections about and thoughts on opportunities and on a meaningful communications approach. A few local and international examples are also included.
During these unusual times, our strategy and insights team will continue to produce these types of actionable insights.
Please, never hesitate to ask your Havas Media contact for more information or any other questions or requests.
• If we follow Italian benchmarks, audiences are probably going to be up+20% for the foreseeable future (during lockdown). First data seems to confirm this evolution.
• Meanwhile, the demand for TV adspace is declining due to cancellations of campaigns.If this trend continues, 25% more free space will be available in the month of April.
• The Belgian market is still largely a spot-by-spot buying market, which means we are facing lots of reworking with the reprogramming on all channels. However, reprogramming and larger audiences will give extra possibilities to optimize.
• Important to consider Brand Safety within current context and react accordingly:
• Cancellations are possible and will be treated without additional costs (as long as annual engagements are respected) by TV & Radio sales houses
• Think about adapting material to the crisis; very creative and last-minute adaptions that ensure a positive message have already aired
• Last minute campaigns will be met with open arms by sales houses. Opportunities for branding on TV are high, especially for FMCG sector
- Traditional newsbrands are outperforming A/V broadcasters on the web, esp. hyperlocal brands are doing well (regional editions). Qualitative newsbrands (De Standaard, Le Soir) are also doing well.
- The two main TV broadcasters on the web are also doing great in the French-speaking part of Belgium. In stark contrast, the Flemish TV broadcasters do not perform well on the web.
- The saleshouses adapt their commercial offers (360°) and provide flexibility through their different supports.
- Important to consider Brand Safety within current context and react accordingly
- Digital allow to react rapidly and change the creative material in a smoothier way than on other media
- Thanks to brand safety, the saleshouses assure advertisers that their campaign will not be placed next unsafe content.